2.09.2006

Second verse, same as the first

I read something recently regarding the soothing nature of repetition. This fortunately furthers my argument that just because I watch the Friends series over and over (and over and over), have to have it on if I’m going to be doing anything at all in the kitchen, and will probably never grow tired of hearing the dialogue in the background, even though I can say with great confidence that I now have 90% of the lines (from the entire series, people) memorized, I may not actually have a problem. I may simply be seeking solace from this oh-so-chaotic world.

Repetition-as-pacification sheds new (and slightly tolerable) light on those inane nursery rhymes, lullabies, and talking toys, too. The concept was definitely helpful in keeping the hysteria at bay the other night, when the niece played her smooching gorilla toy again and again.
Unfortunately, Comforting was body-slammed out of the way by Creepy later that evening: I picked up one of Niece’s two stuffed lambs, squeezed its belly and was surprised -and a little frightened, I'll admit it- to hear a recording of a child’s voice (complete with the slightest amount of static in the background) chanting evenly “Now I lay me down to sleep. I pray the lord my soul to keep. Angels watch me through the night. Until I wake in morning’s light.” The other part of the pair recited the same verse, but with a slightly different rhythm.

It was kind of fun to watch Monk’s face as I squeezed both lamb bellies simultaneously and unleashed a bit of The Ring into the room.


3 comment:

Blogger Lisa said...

Those damn lambs with the child's prayer ARE creepy. When pregnant, I got one as a gift. I returned it.:-)

Did you guys live in St. L before you moved to Dallas? Just wondering...

4:49 PM  
Anonymous M. said...

Nice pic. I wonder who took it? :)

7:41 AM  
Anonymous quinn said...

Lisa- nope, but that's where Monk's family is.

11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home